Akatsuki is a criminal organization created by Yahiko, possibly inspired by Tobi. Its purpose was to capture the nine Tailed Beasts in order for Tobi to fulfill the Moon's Eye Plan. Akatsuki was, at first, silent and largely unknown to the people of Konoha. Its name got out when two of its members, Itachi Uchiha and Kisame Hoshigaki, came to the village seeking Naruto, the jinchuriki of Kurama. Its supposed leader was Pain, but in reality it was Tobi who was the mastermind.
- Orochimaru- Former Konoha-nin. He was partnered with Sasori but left Akatsuki several years before the series began.
- Itachi Uchiha- Former Konoha-nin. He was partnered with Kisame and assigned the capture of Kurama.
- Kisame Hoshigaki- Formerly of the Seven Ninja Swordsmen of the Mist. He was partnered with Itachi and assigned the capture of Son Goku.
- Zetsu- Not much is known about him. He serves as a scout and disposes of corpses.
- Deidara- Former Iwa-nin. He was the youngest member of Akatsuki and was partnered with Sasori and Tobi. He was assigned the capture of Shukaku.
- Sasori- Also known as Sasori of the Red Sand. Former Suna-nin. He was partnered with Orochimaru and Deidara.
- Tobi- Tobi is the mastermind behind the Akatsuki. He made his role clear after the death of Itachi Uchiha.
- Kakuzu- Former Taki-nin. He is one of the oldest members. He also acts as the organization's treasurer.
- Nagato- Also known as Pain. Former Ame-nin. He served as public leader of Akatsuki and was partnered with Konan.
Only two members of Akatsuki have survived: Zetsu and Tobi.